Your appearance during an interview speaks volumes. Don’t let something small and simple like what you are wearing have a detrimental effect on the outcome.
Coming from my experience at Inspired Selections, arranging interviews, hearing feedback and reasons why people do and do not get a job; appearance and dress is most definitely something to take on board and can completely change the outcome of an interview.
Whether you are attending a first interview, a third interview, a quick meeting or a trial, always make sure you are in suitable attire.
Time and time again in my experience I have had a phone call from a client letting me know the application will go no further due to how an applicant attended interview because they wore jeans or trainers or were not of suitable appearance even after having an exceptional CV with all relative experience. In some cases, we’ve seen candidates having a very strong first interview, and then arriving in casual clothes for a second interview.
- If he/she cannot make the effort in a meeting, what will they be like on regular working days?
- Does this candidate care?
- Why come to a formal interview looking like you are meeting friends?
- This person will not fit in with the current team of professionals
The solution? ALWAYS attend an interview in smart dress.
What to Wear
- Suit and shoes (preferred)
- Shirt, tie, trousers and shoes (recommended)
- Shirt – ironed
- Shoes – clean
- Trousers – ironed/ pressed
- Tie – tied correctly (edge of tie at waist or meeting trouser line)
- Women’s Suit and shoes
- Blouse and trousers
- Blouse and pencil skirt
- Shoes – Not high heels (flat or small heel)
- Skirt – ideally at or past knee, ironed
- Blouse/ Shirt – Ironed
What not to wear
- Casual Jacket
- Polo Shirt
- Jacket with a hood
If you turn up to each interview looking professional, well dressed and with good hygiene, this will be noted by the interviewer and you will make a good first impression. Starting the interview on a strong note will make a difference as appearance is the first thing the interviewer will see.
Don’t let a client judge you before meeting you.
For further assistance contact us on 0121 778 6999 and speak to one of our Inspired Selections advisors today.